Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Lemon Poppy Seed Chicken

One of my friends, Beth, requested this recipe from the list! It's one of my favorites. I have made it several times and love it. It is from my Rachael Ray cookbook.

LEMON POPPY SEED CHICKEN

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken stock, divided
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup flour
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 lemons zested, 1 juiced
  • 1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons poppy seeds 

    Place a large skillet over high heat  with 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil. While the skillet is heating up, place the flour on a plate. Toss the chicken in the flour to coat, shaking off any excess. Add the chicken pieces to the hot skillet. Season the chicken liberally with salt, pepper and the lemon zest, and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring every now and then to get them brown all over.

    Once the chicken has browned, add the chicken stock to the skillet. Once the stock is hot, add the butter and poppy seeds. Stir until the butter has melted and the sauce has thickened up a bit, about a minute. Turn off the heat and squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into the pan. With a microplane or the smallest grade of a handheld box grater, grate in the garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking.

    It's fresh and comforting all at the same time. I served it this time with Rice Cooker Apple Risotto. But I usually serve it with some kind of rice and a veggie. In the cookbook she serves it with green pea and mini cous cous. I am not a fan of mint or green peas mixed with stuff.

    I told you I'd post any recipes you want! If there are any on the list you are curious about don't be afraid to ask!

    No comments: