Monday, March 4, 2013

Meal Planning 101: Week 24

I love prep work. LOVE. I know I'm a bit OCD, so do you by now, and prep work feeds that, but I want you to love it too! Why should you love it? It makes cooking faster, easier, and more enjoyable! I posted this prep work picture earlier in the week when I was making the baked breaded chicken tenders that were to be dipped in all those filled dishes. One of my fellow foodie friends, Jenny @ JennyBakes, commented on the picture and said, "First rule of a cook - Mise en place!" I didn't know what it meant, so I googled it. I would like to suggest to you, that it's true! Mise en place is a french cooking term that means everything in place, as in all set up. Professional kitchens use it. Though I'm not a professional, and you might not be either, we are professionals in our own kitchen! We can love cooking just as much as any professional chef by taking steps to make it less stressful! Do prep work the day before. If you get home from work early, do some prep work then so when it's time to cook dinner mise en place! I got all my dredging bowls ready and cut up my potatoes for roasting before boot camp. When I came home all I had to do was dredge a little and pop things in the oven! 


You know what else takes the stress out of cooking? MEAL PLANNING! So on to this week's plan. 


Monday:

Leftover Sunday Dinner Stew

Tuesday:

Twice Baked Broccoli Cheese Potatoes & Caesar Salad (Never got to it last week due to a bonding dinner with some of my staff. Life happens and sometimes it's good!)

Wednesday: 

Leftover Potatoes

Thursday:

Lazy Chiles Rellenos, Tortillas & Guacamole Salad (Never actually made this meal 2 weeks ago, forgot ingredients!)

Friday:

Leftover Rellenos

Saturday:

Buffalo Chicken Salad Sandwich, Hummus & Veggies

Sunday:

Crock Pot Pork Chops, Brown Rice & Brussel Sprouts

Extras:


  • Smoothies: Strawberry, Blueberry, Pineapple Mango, Peach, and Vanilla (Flax seed + almonds + milk + greek yogurt + frozen bananas + assorted frozen fruit)
  • Some healthy version of baked doughnuts, haven't gotten to use my pan yet! 


Lunch Ideas (The DOs and DON'Ts): 


DO - leftover veggie pizza in moderation (1 slice) + hummus + veggies + a cutie

DO - asian chopped salad & peanut dressing + leftover baked breaded chicken tender + celery & peanut butter + fruit

DO - if you must eat out for lunch meetings, veggies + grilled chicken isn't bad
DON'T - eat all that rice (I didn't, but I did eat too much!)

DO - say yes to your brother paying for your lunch + a grilled chicken sandwich
DON'T - order fried homemade chips like I did

Pin It

No comments: