Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Take 3

I made over Sunday dinner yet again! Recap: I made a Sunday dinner of pot roast, veggies, and rice with gravy. I used left over rice as a spring board and inspiration for my diner party meal and made chicken fried rice as an entree. On Friday (cooking day number 3), I used the left over roast! One of my favorite things my mom made when I was growing up was beef taquitos with guacamole. Until recently, and I don't know why, I was scared to make the taquitos myself. I've made guacamole a lot, but never braved the taquitos until the last time I made pot roast. I was so incredibly tired of roast leftovers. Roasts are big! And I'm only one person. After the third or forth time, you start developing that never want to eat this again feeling. In order to not swear off roast forever, last time when I got to that point, I decided to just try it. They turned out great! Taquitos will always be a roast makeover meal for me now.


Beef Taquitos with Guacamole

Chunky Guacamole (Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook)

2 medium roma tomatoes, finely chopped
1/4 of a small red onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon olive oil (I use 1 tablespoon of sour cream instead)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 ripe avocados , halved, seeded, peeled, and coarsely mashed (You know avocados are ripe because they just barely push in when you squeeze them)

Mix all ingredients except avocados in a bowl. Gently stir in mashed avocados. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for up to a hour. Chilling is a must! The flavors get all happy and married.

Taquitos (My guestimation made up recipe)

Approx. 2 cups of chopped and shredded roast beef
9-10 tortillas (I use flour)
toothpicks
oil
1/4 of chopped onion (optional)

Take your left over roast and shred and chop it pretty small. If you like onion you can add it to your beef mixture. The onions don't get cooked really, they stay pretty crisp. I like it with onion, but if you don't like raw onion you can nix the onion. I don't add anything else because the left over pot roast is flavored so well. You can add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to taste if you like. Could even add some chopped bell pepper or lime juice. I like them simple because I love them with the guacamole. The flavors of the guacamole compliment it well.

I cover a small section of my island with plastic wrap and then start building the taquitos. I use a 1/4 measuring cup, but don't fill it completely, just a little under. Scoop a little less than a 1/4 of a cup of the meet onto the bottom of the tortilla and roll! These aren't supposed to be super thick. Do it to your preference and what you like, but traditionally they are supposed to be thin. Close each one with a tooth pick.

Heat your oil. I use a combination of vegetable and olive oil. I probably cover the pan 1/2 inch thick. It's not deep frying, a pretty shallow fry. I am totally not an expert fryer. I just guess on what to do. I keep my oil heated between medium and medium high heat. Don't over crowd you pan, they shouldn't touch. Fry them just a minute or so on each side. They should be golden brown. Toasty, but not dark. Put them on a napkin covered plate to let the excess oil drain.

Make the guacamole first so it can be chilling and developing its yummy flavor while you prepare and cook the taquitos. Serve taquitos with plenty of guacamole for dipping! I also made a corn salad that I didn't like. But you could serve with black beans, refried beans, corn, mexicorn, cucumber and tomato salad, corn salad, or anything else with a fresh and/or mexican feel. For a fun, simple, extra touch to any side or salad, slice up a tortilla in very thin strips and pieces. Fry them in the oil, let the excess drain off, pat them to remove even more oil. They add a fun extra crunch and really spark up the presentation. I used one flour tortilla and one sun dried tomato wrap.

I try to make a Mexican meal at least once a month, because I LOVE Mexican food. Tacos are everyone's default, but try this! It's just as easy and really good. It could also be an appetizer at for a party. Slice the taquitos and add individual toothpicks, but don't forget the guacamole! Taquitos and guacamole are married! They need each other. I leave you with a vital Mexican food tip! Have you ever made Mexican food and just felt like it was missing something? The something is always lime! Add lime to your rice, your chicken for your quesadillas, squeeze it on your tacos, squeeze it on top of your taquitos!

No comments: