Sunday, August 1, 2010

Keeping Up with the Joneses

As soon as I knew I was making my proxy family/mom's famous and loved Breakfast Casserole, I giggled knowing I was going to get to name a blog post that. If you know the Joneses, my Joneses, you'd definitely want to keep up. One of the best families I know. The family of my best friend Molly. They've taken me in as theirs many times. I had one of the best Christmases I have ever had with them. Ms. Susan and Mr. Jamie are both amazing cooks! Mr. Jamie makes the best salsa I've ever had. I could literally eat a gallon. Everything Ms. Susan makes is the best. And they have the best sweet tea! Their house is always cozy and inviting. Always amazingly decorated, smelling yummy, best sheets, best home. They are an amazing, Godly family that I am happy to be an honorary part of. They mean the world to me.

For years, Molly had this cookbook I was so jealous of! Ms. Susan made it for her. She wrote all of their family recipes in it. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to take it from Molly. Well, for Christmas two years ago Ms. Susan made me one! It is the best Christmas present anyone could have give me! I cherish it! And today, I made Ms. Susan's Breakfast Casserole! I brought it to our SHE Women's ministry team breakfast meeting. Everyone loved it, as always. No one has ever had Ms. Susan's Breakfast Casserole and not loved it. It's so simple, but the flavors are just perfection together. It literally melts in your mouth.

Susan Jones' Breakfast Casserole

2 packages of canned crescent rolls (Can used reduced fat ones)
1 package ground country style sausage (Could use turkey sausage, though I haven't tried that yet)
1 package cream cheese (Can use 1/3 less fat or fat free, though for flavor I'd recommend at least 1/3 less fat)

Brown sausage. Mix sausage with cream cheese. Preheat oven to crescent roll package temperature. I spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with a little cooking spray just to prevent sticking, very light because crescent rolls have their own oil. Unroll one package (do not separate) and press to bottom of dish. Just kind of mash any gaps or creases together with your fingertips. Spread sausage mixture on top of that. Top with other package of not separated rolls. Tuck edges in and mash gaps and creases. Bake per crescent roll package instructions, or until golden brown. Serve warm!

Everyone who eats this yummy dish you make will know that you are... keeping up with the Joneses.

1 comment:

MichelleMarie said...

crackin me up. I first had these in IL and when I came home and made them for folks here in LA...they LOVED them. It's pretty much what I make and take to any potluck or dinner party. LOL! I always struggle with what to call them. They were "sausage delights" at one point...now just whatever. But I like this name...thanks.