Saturday, July 31, 2010

Meet My Husband

Have you met my husband? He's super helpful. He adores me so much that on occasion he has dinner ready for me when I get home! I walk in and the house smells so warm and inviting. He is so easy to clean up after and doesn't require a lot of work. I think he's quite perfect. Meet Mr. Tyler Duff Crockpot.

I love my Crockpot so much that I affectionately named him after my former Food Network future husband and my current Food Network future husband. I used to want to marry Tyler Florence, but then I found out he was married. So, he's still my favorite, but Ace of Cakes Duff is my second favorite and new future husband. Yes I know he has a girlfriend, but girlfriends don't always last forever. I'm just sayin'.

Tyler and Duff made me a super yummy meal on Friday. I love BBQ and have been craving it since Memorial Day. It passed... no BBQ. Then 4th of July passed... no BBQ for me again. So, when I came across a pulled pork recipe, I had to try it. It's almost effortless, and so so so so so good! Made ALOT. I have pulled pork for days, but it's so yummy! If you like pulled pork or BBQ at all, you must try it. Don't buy it! Make it. I promise it's worth it. I made some coleslaw (1 package of coleslaw veggie mix, 1 cup of low fat coleslaw dressing, salt & pepper. Or you can make your own dressing and chop your own veggies, but... We already know how I feel about julianing things. Next time I will make my own dressing though. Cooked some corn on the cob. I added a little coleslaw on my sandwich, gives it a little crunch. Not everyone likes that, but lots of people do! Yummy almost effortless meal. Try it!

Crock Pot Pulled Pork

4 lbs  pork roast shoulder or butt (I used a picnic shoulder and cut off the binding)
2 large onions (I used vidailia)
1 cup ginger ale
1 (18 ounce) bottle favorite barbecue sauce (They suggest Sweet Baby Ray's, I used some new Mississippi Honey Mustard one)
barbecue sauce, for serving

1. Slice one onion and put it in the bottom of crock put. Wash roast, pat dry with paper towel, place on top of onion. Slice second onion and put on top of the roast. Pour ginger ale over. Cover and cook on LOW for 12 hours. (Yes 12! Do it. It's worth it.)

2. Remove the meat. Strain the onions and discard all liquid, save the onions. With two forks, shred the meat, discarding any remaining fat or skin. Most of the fat will have melted away. Return the shredded meat and the onions to the crock pot, stir in the barbecue sauce. Continue to cook for another 4 to 6 hours on LOW. (I had to eat some after it had been cooking with the sauce for just an hour and it was great then! I let the rest of it cook the full 4 and so yummy!)
 
3. Serve with hamburger buns or rolls and additional barbecue sauce. Any leftovers freeze very well. Their Tip: freeze ready-made sandwiches - a scoop of meat on a bun, well-wrapped. These make a great quick meal or snack. To reheat, remove wrapping, wrap in a paper towel, and zap 1-2 minute in the microwave. (I think I will for sure do this. I'm telling you, I have a TUB of pulled pork left. And I've eaten 3 sandwiches so far. Looks like I haven't even eaten on it!)

If you don't have a Crockpot, you are missing out! And if you do, you should name yours. 

No comments: