Monday, July 19, 2010

It's all Greek to me!

Ok. Today is a new day! I decided this month was going to be better! Last month I was in another funk. Nothing felt right. Oh and months to me go from the 15th to the 15th. So by new month I mean the month of Jugust (July 15th - August 15th). Last month I didn't plan my meals like I usually do, I ate out way too much, I was sick twice, I had to get new tires, I didn't manage my money well, I didn't feel like cooking or cleaning, I didn't work out, I got in trouble at work a lot (which we all do every week, but it just was getting to me). I was just blah! 

Now! I have a dishwasher (that I got for free) and I literally LOVE doing dishes now. Go 10 months washing them by hand with no counter space and an itty bitty sink, then get a dishwasher and you'll love doing dishes too! I found a grocery list template and OCDish made my list and planned out all my meals for the entire month. I cook on Sundays, Tuesday, and Fridays, expect recipes on those days :). I bought all my groceries for the entire month, tithes, and paid all my bills! Finances will be much better this month! I brought my lunch today and will everyday. No eating out! AND I started back to the gym today.

On a side note, I really love doing organizing tasks. Somehow, it is the best stress relief to me. I love planning out meals for the month! It's like a puzzle making it all a variety and figuring out how to best use leftovers, etc. I just love it. AND it saves SO much money. And makes you so excited about cooking. I anticipate each meal and recipe. I also make sure to do several new recipes a month, using at least one from one of my cookbooks, and the others from food.com (formerly know as recipezaar.com). 

Ok back on track. Tonight I found my new favorite meal of all time (or until I find another new favorite). I literally could eat this once a week! Which by the way, I never eat anything once a week because planning your meals is so fun and helps you no repeat and have the same ol' same ol'. I LOVE Greek food. If you've ever had a conversation about restaurants or favorite foods with me you know its all Greek for me! Except, oddly enough, to love Mediterranean food so much, I hate olives. I try them once a month to try and make myself like them, because I really really want to like them, but I just don't. But I always have hummus and pita bread at my house and if given the choice of any New Olreans restaurant, I will always always pick Lebanon's or Mona's. So I had this realization that I've never made anything Greek (other than hummus). I decided a Greek recipe was a must for this months meals! My faithful favorite site came through! Tonight I had Greek chicken and potatoes with Greek salad and I could eat it everyday for two weeks straight! 

The recipes! [Any changes or specifics will be noted like this.]

Greek Salad

DRESSING INGREDIENTS:
1 cup olive oil (can reduce to 3/4 cup) [I used 1 cup]
2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice [I used 3]
2-4 teaspoons dried oregano [I used 4]
3 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

SALAD INGREDIENTS
    1 large romaine lettuce, chopped [I used bagged/washed/chopped hearts of romaine (1.98 for a BIG bag at Sam's]
    2-3 plum tomatoes, cut in wedges [I used grape tomatoes, 4.98 for a BIG container at Sam's, and I rough chopped them with the slap chop, which is 5.97 at Wal-mart and the best food prep tool ever! Cuts cutting time in half, love love love it!]
    1 English cucumbers (peeled, seeded and chopped) [I used a regular one and didn't peel or seed. I sliced then rough chopped smaller with slap chop]
    1 red onions, cut in slices [I cut mine smaller with slap chop, don't like big pieces of onion]
    1 green bell peppers (seeded and cut into rings or sliced) [Or slap chopped! Can you tell I'm obsessed with that thing?]
    1/2 lb feta cheese, crumbled [1 of the little circle containers of it]
    1 cup kalamata olives [I didn't use olives. Wish I liked them!] 

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. For the dressing: in a processor or use a wire whisk process/whisk the olive oil with lemon juice, oregano, garlic, basil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar until smooth. [I put everything in one of those little salad dressing jars you get with the Italian or ranch dressing mixes and shook! Easier and less clean up.]
2. Chill in fridge for a couple of hours before using to blend flavors. [I made it the night before.]
3. Place the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Pour dressing over; toss to combine. 
4. If desired allow the salad to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving, or you can refrigerate for 1 hour (tossing a few time during sitting time).

Greek Chicken and Potatoes 

INGREDIENTS: 
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 3/4 inch cubes [I used 3, wanted more leftovers]
2 cups potatoes, cubed [I used 4 small russet potatoes, which was about 3 cups]
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 chicken bouillon cubes, dissolved in 1/2 cup water [I used 1/2 cup chicken stock]
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 to taste salt and pepper

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place chicken, potatoes, and garlic in a 9 X 13 inch glass baking pan. 
2. Mix well to get everything evenly distributed in the pan.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Pour the chicken bouillon [or chicken stock]over all. 
5. Whisk olive oil, lemon juice and crumbled oregano together. 
6. Pour evenly over chicken and potatoes. [I also sprinkled Greek seasoning all over it at this point.]
7. Bake approximately 30-35 minutes until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender and golden brown. [Says 30-35 but really not sure how long I cooked it, probably longer, until potatoes were tender.]

I highly recommend these recipes!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How interesting, Kasia! Planning and organizing makes me feel good, too. I could plan all day. I take more pleasure, I think, in planning than in actually carrying out the plans (thought that has its own satisfaction). I also love Middle Eastern/Mediterranean food. We had Kibbeh and Lentil pie this week and Hummus, Labnah, and Tabbouli last week. I have a GREAT cookbook for it. Who knew we had so much in common?

Kasia Lindsay said...

We should swap planning and organizing and meal ideas! All of that stuff sounds soooo good. What is the cookbook called? I didn't know we had so much in common, but I like it! :)