Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls


We all deal with stress differently. Some people sleep. Some exercise. Some avoid. You've heard of stress eating right? Well I stress bake. Stress baking is almost as bad for you as stress eating when no RAs are around to feed your baking projects to! Remember that time I ate four blueberry cinnamon rolls for dinner and just that? Oops. I'm gonna need to move back into my apartment soon and have access to my craft box for other means of stress relief!

But seriously, if anything stuck with me from counseling it was the bit about doing mastery and pleasure activities in times of overwhelming sadness or anxiety. Translation... doing things you know you can master, finish and accomplish well and things that bring your soul pleasure. Knowing this is going to help me make it through the difficult times that lie ahead with my dad's health. Baking definitely meets both of those needs for me. I wish you could have seen my face when I opened the oven to the beautiful creation above. On second thought... I'm kind of glad you couldn't see me. I'm certain I looked like a super dork. But I was ecstatic! I had been crying for hours, got up, baked, and pulled that out of the oven! I was so happy and proud of my creation. I think I may have even bounced on my heels a little.


I'm claiming this recipe as my own because it really was mostly me. The cinnamon roll recipe was from food.com, but I altered it to be a healthier version using egg beaters, heart healthy mix, and low calorie butter. The blueberry part was inspired by recipes I've seen but my combination of ingredients. The glaze was thrown together by me.

Ingredients


Blueberry Filling:

  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water
  • Additional 1/2 cup of blueberries


Cinnamon Rolls: 

  • 2 1/2 cups Heart Healthy Bisquick
  • 1/3 cup of skim milk
  • 1/4 cup Egg Beaters (or 1 large egg)
  • 2 tablespoons Brummel and Brown yogurt butter
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon


Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze:

  • 3 tablespoons reduced calorie whipped cream cheese
  • 2/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • splash of milk






























  • Directions 


    Dough: 


    Preheat oven to 375. Mix baking mix, milk, and egg until a soft dough forms, I used my stand mixer dough hook for the first time! Place dough ball onto lightly floured parchment paper or a lightly floured clean surface. I'm OCD about germs so I always use parchment or wax paper to do dough work. Gently kneed the dough until mostly smooth. Roll dough into a 8 x 10 (ish) rectangle. If your dough is looking more round and not square enough, fold in the ends and keep rolling. Combine cinnamon and the 1/4 cup of sugar. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar mixture over buttered dough.

    Filling: 


    Combine 1 cup blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and water in a small saucepan. Cook on medium low heat until blueberries start to burst. I used a potato smasher to break mine down a bit more and thicken the sauce. When the sauce is a good consistency remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Spread the blueberry sauce on top of the cinnamon and butter topped dough. Sprinkle additional 1/2 cup of blueberries.


    Baking:  


    Roll up tightly starting with the long side. Pinch the edges of the dough closed. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cut 3/4 to 1 inch slits going almost through the bottom using a sharp knife. Don't go all the way to the bottom! It should make 8 rolls, 10 smaller ones. Bake for about 20 minutes or until light golden brown. 

    Glaze: 


    Mix cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon juice, and a splash of milk in a small bowl or a large measuring cup and stir! I used my immersion blender and it made it a quick and easy job.



  • Just look at it! They are so very good and just pretty! In the words of a coworker I shared one of these cinnamon rolls with, "These things are gourmet!" Easy and impressive. You can never have enough recipes like that. 

    I'm not suggesting that these as "healthy" BUT they are a much healthier version of most cinnamon desserts and cinnamon rolls. According to the Weight Watcher's Recipe Builder they are 7 points with the glaze. For comparison, a Starbucks Morning Bun (their cinnamon roll) is 10 points with no icing or glaze. A Corner Bakery Cinnamon Roll is 17 points! A Pillsbury Supreme Cinnamon Rolls is 10 points. 7 doesn't seem bad at all in comparison!



    Pin It

    No comments: