Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Homemade Honey Peanut Butter

I could seriously post this recipe with no words at all, just pictures. Two reasons. 1. It's SUPER easy! So easy I don't know if we can even call it a "recipe" at all. 2. Every time I see these pictures I just want to go get another spoonful! Yes. It really is as good and easy as it looks. 


Peanut butter! I love the stuff. I love it on toast. I love it on bananas. I love it on a spoon with a glass of milk. I love it mixed with jelly and spread on two slices of bread. Love it. But have you ever looked at the label on a jar of peanut butter? It was brought to my attention this week how many ingredients that aren't actually peanuts at all are in a jar of peanut butter. Allow me to share them with you. 

From the label of a jar of reduced fat peanut butter: PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, SUGAR, SOY PROTEIN, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, MOLASSES, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, NIACINAMIDE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, ZINC OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE, FOLIC ACID, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE.

A regular or reduced fat jar of normal peanut butter has 60% peanuts in it. Even natural peanut butter isn't all peanuts. Common ingredients are peanuts (obviously), sugar, molasses, and palm oil. Now if you're going to buy peanut butter, buy natural! It is way better and not at all bad and 90% peanuts. But guess what my peanut butter has in it? 


Peanuts! Well, and a little honey. I'm not a math person, but if I were to guess on the percentage of peanuts in my peanut butter, I'd go 99% peanuts and 1% honey. 


Seriously, this is so simple! If you have a food processor, you can make this and feel so awesome about life, yourself, your body and what you're putting in it, AND your DIY skills. If you don't have a food processor, go buy one! It's a worthy investment. 


Ingredients:

  • 2 jars of unsalted dry roasted peanuts (I used Walmart brand)
  • 2 tablespoons of honey


Directions: 

Pour one jar of peanuts into your food processor. Pulse pulse pulse. Hold the button down and let it go! The first stage will look like crumbs and/or powder and you'll wonder if it will really get creamy.



Once the first jar got pretty powdery, I added in the second jar and squeezed in a little honey. I'm estimating about 2 tablespoons worth, maybe a little less, but 2 won't hurt. 



Just keep pulsing, just keep pulsing, just keep pulsing. The next phase it will start to form a gooey ball. Pause to take a picture if you want, but then... Just keep pulsing, just keep pulsing.



Voila! Before your eyes the gooey ball, that was once crumbly powder, that was once hard peanuts, will transform into a luscious creamy nut butter!



It will also be slightly warm right after because of the hard work of the food processor. Slather in on a banana (or a spoon, or your finger) and enjoy immediately! Then put it in a jar or air tight container and show it to all your friends. Or give them some! They'll love you more than they already do.



This homemade peanut butter will keep in your refrigerator for 2 months! And then we will of course make more. Seriously. Do it. 


Pin It

No comments: