Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Little Glimpse Into My Life

As you know, on January 3rd I started my new job (aka THE BEST JOB EVER) as a Resident Director at Mississippi College. I had the amazing privilege of getting to serve this semester along side some wonderful, beautiful, hilarious, motivating and inspiring Resident Assistants. We became friends, and yes, I was their boss, but far more than that, we became a family. Their smiling faces and contagious laughs are gone for the summer. The brick lined walls of Latimer-Webb are far too quiet now and my door misses those knocks. To end the semester and appreciate their work, we had an End of the Year Banquet. Each RD got to say a few things about their RAs. In honor of them, I'll share with you what I shared with them. 


I learned a lot. I grew as an RD from training to every experience I encountered. But those six beautiful girls taught me a lot too. 


I've learned how to spot a diamond from a mile away, where all the worlds largest diamonds are located and way more about presidents than I ever thought I'd know thanks to Leah Frances. But she also taught me what it looks like to expect the best from people and not settle for less than that. I learned that being a ninja is is not an easy job and only people as cool as Kristen can do it (she actually is a ninja and could kill us all with one karate move!). But I also learned from her how to see the beauty in everyone and that each person, no matter how different, is worthy of our efforts. Thanks to Amanda I now know that the sky turns green before tornadoes and I've also never had to watch the weather since we had our very own Lat-Webb weather girl. But I also learned how to see the bright and positive side of every situation. I learned that any word can be abbreviated like totes for totally and awk for awkward and that wearing hippy headbands is totes cool thanks to Mary Kathryn and EB. But from Mary Kathryn I also learned to find God in everything and rely on his Word more. And EB by example has shown me that it's okay to say what you think and feel. I also learned that perfection really is possible, from Katie, who is always on time, always volunteers, and always does her best. But I also learned from her to do things with excellence to reflect the abilities and talents God has given you.


From being a family with these girls I've learned that it's possible to loose at least five pounds from laughing. I've learned how to be the church outside the church and with each other. We learned to love God and His Word more. I learned how to see the world and life with fresh hope. We learned how to do the best and be the best at the places God has you and positions he blesses you with. And I learned how to be a family, love, and trust a group of girls who truly are like sisters to one another and little sisters to me. 

I can't imagine a better RA staff to have the joy and privilege of serving as my first time as an RD! My expectations will forever be high because of the bar you've set. I miss you all!

No comments: