Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Test Run


So this is what it would look like! For breakfast I had a Weight Watcher's creamy chocolate shake (2 points) with 1 cup of fat free milk (2 points) and frozen strawberries as ice cubes blended. For lunch I had a lunch date with my brother at Margarita's Mexican Restaurant. I had 24 tortilla chips (yes I counted and broke the big ones in half and counted each half!) for 8 points and salsa for 0. I had a chicken fajita taco salad with no shell, extra lettuce, no cheese sauce, no sour cream, salsa and guacamole on the side (which I just had one bite of) and 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. I count the meat as 5 ounces and add an extra point for any oil they may have used. So 6 points for chicken, 3 for cheese, 1 for the bite of gauc, 10 for the whole salad since lettuce, salsa, and peppers and onions are free. I did the eliptical for 30 minutes and earned 9 activity points (did it for 55 minutes yesterday!). I had a post work out snack of a Special K Honey Nut bar (2 points). I rewarded myself with 3 mini chocolate eggs (1 point total). And then... I went to community group! Wednesday nights will likely always be "bad" as food is provided and not in my control! I guess I could eat at home, but I can be smart! I had 2 pieces of Canadian bacon and pineapple pizza (smallish pieces, I counted as 6 points each), 2 pieces of garlic bread (counted 4 points each). And... I splurged and had a cookie (4 points) and brownie (6 points)! I only allowed it because I'd worked out pretty hard core for 2 days! So to wrap it up I used all of my 41 daily points and 14 activity points! Not the best day, but not horrible either. I will admit, taking pictures made me so much more aware and helped me not have that 2nd cookie! I probably won't be this wordy every time. Or maybe I will... Who knows :). I would like your feedback on if you hate/love/are indifferent/find it annoying about this. It's really easy to do now that I have the fancy iPhone!

And while I'm feeling chatty, I'd like to share a story. So today when the brother and I went to Margarita's for our lunch date, I order the same thing I always do. I've ordered it this way at least 15 times. I just ordered it to go last week! And I had a horrible turned into great experience today. I know it's complicated and I know the waiters and the cooks can't like it, but I'm on this journey for the long haul! This is a lifestyle change and I'm done being ashamed! I will not be scared to ask for my food a certain way or appear to be a high maintenance or picky eater! So every time, I say the same thing: "Chicken fajita taco salad (comes with fajita onions and peppers), no shell, extra lettuce, guacamole, cheese sauce, and sour cream on the side." They glop it on there! It's so much and I like little bites of the sour cream and guacamole but in my control. I KNOW it's high maintenance, and I was embarrassed the first few times. But, it's my life and my health! Well today, I confidently say what I want and the waiter looks at me in disgust (evident disgust!). He tells me they can't do it like that, it's too much work. I tell him I've ordered it that way every time I go there. He literally shakes his head at me as I've I'm ridiculous. I told him I'd order something else. And then... I had an emotional break down! My brother arrived at about this time and I just lost it and sobbed in the restaurant! This guy made me feel so ashamed! My brother went into big brother mode and wanted to say something, which of course I wouldn't let him. But he did ask for another waiter. The second waiter was so, so nice and helpful (and I got my salad how I asked for it). We gave him a $10 tip and I wrote him a thank you note. He asked us to sign it and they hung it on the hostess podium! They also gave us our food half priced. So... bad experience that ended good. BUT GAH! Can you believe that guy?! If you are out there and anywhere on a weight loss or health journey, don't be afraid! Stand up for yourself and be in control. Don't let stupid waiters or anyone in your life push you into a corner that makes you feel ashamed. Stay focused and encouraged! We can do this.

No comments: