Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pumpkin French Toast Casserole with Coffee Whipped Topping

I know what you're thinking. Pumpkin? You? In May? I know, right? I totally broke my pumpkin belongs in the Fall and Winter months rule to make this recipe. And guess what? I loved it. It gave me the same warm and cozy feeling I get when I watch Gilmore Girls and see the red and orange leaved trees. 

Just like my Gilmore Girls, I'll still save pumpkin for special moments out of season and bask in it like crazy in season, but I might occasionally break my rule now. I did break it for a good reason. We had one of our potluck breakfast meals at work. A coworker who started post fall, had heard about my Pumpkin French Toast Casserole and then I didn't have a choice! I like it when people request my food! I just can't say no. 

The other factor that pushed me over the edge to saying yes to making a pumpkin dish? Coffee whipped cream. Let's just start things off right and talk about this! 

Coffee Whipped Cream 




Ingredients:

  • 1 package Starbucks Via
  • 1 container fat free cool whip

Directions: 

Combine. Stir. Seriously, that's it. It's the simplest thing every but oh man is it good. I mean how can you say not to anything topped with Coffee Whipped Cream? My coworkers love to put it in their coffee too. It compliments anything pumpkin flavored magically and also just spoon. It's the perfect topping for a good old spoon.

Did I mention it's also guilt-free? 0 points for 2 tbsp or 1 point for 1/4 cup.

Pumpkin French Toast Casserole



Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup Brummel and Brown Yogurt Butter
  • 12 slices Sara Lee Delightful 45 Calorie Bread (I've used Multigrain and Whole Wheat)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup - 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cups Egg Beaters
  • 1 1/2 cups skim milk


Directions: 

Melt Brummel and Brown butter and pour into a 9 x 13 pan. Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl. In a separate bowl whisk eggs, milk, and vanilla together. I like to shake in a little extra cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice into the liquid mixture.

Time to layer. Layer 6 pieces of bread in the pan. Spread a thin layer of pumpkin across the bread. Sprinkle half of the brown sugar mixture over the bread. Layer the other 6 pieces of bread on top and spread with pumpkin. Pour the liquid mixture over the bread. Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar mixture over everything.

Cover and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, cover the dish with tinfoil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes. It should be golden brown and set.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar to make it pretty. Serve with syrup, butter, whipped cream OR COFFEE WHIPPED CREAM.

Yields 12 medium sized servings at 4 points each or 6 large servings at 8 points each.


























If the summer heat is getting to you and you're missing fall as much as me, I highly recommend this dish now!



Pin It

No comments: