Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Chickpea Tomato Basil Salad

Pin It
SUMMER IS UPON US! Notice how I almost seemed excited? I actually don't love summer, especially in the 'Sip (Mississippi for any non-southern readers I might have). It's hot and muggy and I can't wear my cardigans and pumpkin isn't in style. I just love fall, it's my favorite and I long for it 9 months of the year. But of all the fall off seasons, summer is my least favorite. Therefore, I do things to try to make summer more fun! I will admit that it is a fun cooking/baking/meal planning season. THE PRODUCE! Oh man, the produce. Farmer's Markets, my papaw's garden... ALMOST makes me love summer. Actually, I do love summer for that sole reason, produce from Farmer's markets and the garden! And grilling. I love it. LOVE! So all that to say, expect summer themed recipes rich with tomatoes, fresh herbs, and grilled things. Like this yummy, bright salad! 

This lovely salad would pair perfectly with any summer dish, like fish tacos! I was featured over at Mississippi Women Bloggers for Foodie Friday with a yummy Greek Fish Tacos recipe that you should definitely make with this salad. 


Recipe slightly adapted from Green Lite Bites.

Ingredients:

  • 2 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 pint red grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1 pint yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 12-15 fresh basil leaves, chopped 
  • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tablespoon honey
  • 3 tsp minced garlic
  • salt and pepper


Directions: 

Combine garlic, vinegar, and honey in the bottom the bowl you intend to serve the salad in. Whisk. Add the tomatoes, basil, and chick peas to the same bowl and toss to coat everything. Let chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Enjoy!



No comments: