Wednesday, June 26, 2013

DIY Magnetic Chalk Board

Pin It

Supplies:

  • 97¢ cookie sheet from Wal-mart
  • gripper paint primer (Like this one, comes in 1 quart, I got mine at Home Depot. I used mine for 7 magnetic board, spilled half of it, and still have a ton left.) 
  • 1/4 cup acrylic paint, color of choice (the little 57¢ Apple Barrel brand ones from Wal-mart!)
  • 1/2 tablespoon non-sanded grout (I got mine from Home Depot, EVERYONE I know has used the package I bought for making chalkboard paint and it's still over half full!)
  • plastic cups and spoons for mixing paint
  • ribbon
  • doilies or fabric
  • scrap book paper scraps
  • chalk
  • magnets
  • assorted objects to glue to magnets (buttons, glittery things, etc)
  • paint brushes

Directions: 


Step 1: Paint the inside of a cookie sheet with gripper paint primer. I'm not an expert on paint and primer, but I was told by a painter that if you want paint to stay on a metal surface you can't skip this step. I've had my board now for over a year and the paint has yet to crack or scrap off! Let it dry completely. 

Step 2: Mix 1/4 cup of acrylic paint with 1/2 tablespoon of grout in a disposable plastic cup with a plastic spoon. If you are doing multiple boards or colors, you'll want to just mix one color at a time because it can dry out quickly. 

Step 3: Paint 1-2 coats of the paint over on the cookie sheet over the primer. If the one coat is streaky or not vibrant enough, do a second. Let dry completely. 

Step 4: Once the board is completely dry, take a white piece of chalk turned length wise and rub it all over the board to "set" the chalk board. Wipe with a dry paper towel. 

Step 5: At this point your magnetic chalk board is ready to be written on and ready for magnets! The decor is totally up to you, as little or as much as you want. I hot glued tiny doilies in the bottom corner and hot glued a folded a medium sized doily in the top corner to paint names on. I made tiny pennant banners out of twine and triangles cut from sparkly scrap book paper. I hot glued buttons and glittery dots that I purchased on sale in the scrapbook section to magnets. 

Step 6: Write cheesy messages until your heart is content! I also used the magnets to put a picture or two on mine. Give as gifts with chalk! 



No comments: