Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Roasted Sesame Cabbage Wedges

I have to quickly share these, just because they were probably my favorite recipe from last week!

I love cabbage. Love love it in most forms. However, this is probably my new favorite and best way to love cabbage. I found the original recipe and idea on Pinterest. I adapted it to make it a zero point side and to fit with the theme of my meal. It was an Asian(ish) night, so I added sesame and soy to the recipe. I liked it so much I think I'd probably keep the sesame and soy even if it wasn't an Asian night.

Roasted Sesame Cabbage Wedges
Inspired by Martha Stewart's roasted cabbage wedges recipe.

Bad after daylight picture, but I had to share this recipe!
Ingredients:
  • 1 head of cabbage
  • olive oil cooking spray
  • Tony Chachere's Seasoning Salt (or salt & pepper)
  • sesame seeds
  • soy sauce

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 400. Rinse cabbage and slice cabbage into 1 inch thick rounds. I cut of the end and sliced it in half and then sliced each half into rounds. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with cooking spray. 

Season each wedge LIGHTLY on both sides with Tony's (or salt & pepper). Lightly spray cooking spray over the wedges (just the top, the bottoms will get the cooking spray from the pan). Sprinkle with sesame seeds and roast for 40-45 minutes, or until cabbage is tender and edges are browning. 

When mine came out of the oven, I splashed them with just a tad of soy sauce. I didn't plug them into the recipe builder, but sometimes when you cook with veggies or fruits it makes them be points. But all the ingredients I used were zero points and under the appropriate serving to be zero points, so I'm calling them zero points for me! 

I served mine with perfect (finally!) brown rice and teriyaki meatballs (I used this meatball recipe, but used teriyaki sauce instead of bbq sauce).


2 comments:

Shady Character said...

Yum! I pinned this on Pinterest so I'd remember to try it with Chinese cabbage as soon as it's in season.

Kasia Lindsay said...

That will be a great variation!